Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Two Minute Miracle

As we pulled into the parking lot at the chapel, Shalee said, "Oh crap! I have a talk today." I asked her what she was supposed to speak on. She responded that it was Individual Worth. In 30 seconds, we looked up the scripture in D&C 18.

10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

We then talked about some personal experiences that she may want to share. As we walked into the building, I handed her some paper and told her to say a little prayer.

I need to preface the next part by saying. I absolutely HATE iPods, iTouches, or iPads at church. I have repeatedly told my kids that they are NOT to bring them to church. They each have a nice set of scriptures, so I don't want the technology out or even brought to church.

As Shalee stood up to give her talk, she admitted that she had forgotten that she was speaking. The congregation kind of chuckled, but you could sense Shalee's fear and that of the crowd. She then quoted her scripture and pulled out her iPod. (As a momma, I was worried.) She then proceeded to share this story:

Have you ever pondered the worth of a human soul? Have you ever wondered concerning the potential which lies within each of us?Early in my service as a member of the Council of the Twelve, I was attending the conference of the Monument Park West Stake in Salt Lake City. My companion for the conference was a member of the General Church Welfare Committee, Paul C. Child. President Child was a student of the scriptures. He had been my stake president during my Aaronic Priesthood years. Now we were together as conference visitors.When it was his opportunity to participate, President Child took the Doctrine and Covenants and left the pulpit to stand among the priesthood to whom he was directing his message. He turned to section 18 and began to read:“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. …“And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father” (D&C 18:10, 15).President Child then raised his eyes from the scriptures and asked the question of the priesthood brethren: “What is the worth of a human soul?” He avoided calling on a bishop, stake president, or high councilor for a response. Instead, he selected the president of an elders quorum—a brother who had been a bit drowsy and had missed the significance of the question.The startled man responded: “Brother Child, could you please repeat the question?” The question was repeated: “What is the worth of a human soul?”I knew President Child’s style. I prayed fervently for that quorum president. He remained silent for what seemed like an eternity and then declared: “Brother Child, the worth of a human soul is its capacity to become as God.” -- Thomas S. Monson


Wow! Way to go Shalee! The most interesting part is that the chapel doesn't have internet. Somehow on her iTouch she was able to pull it together. Most people would simply have gone home or would have told the bishopric to save them for another week. Not my Shalee, she pulled it off with flying colors! This is a true testament that she can do anything!!


2 comments:

PrincessLeeC said...

Wow! Impressive Shalee -- I am the one who would have turned around and went home. :)

Heather said...

She did an amazing job! No one would have known, if she hadn't confessed! I tend to agree with you, she can do anything she puts her mind to!