This weekend I attended Time Out for Women in St. George with my mom. It was a wonderful experience! I can honestly say that my cup runneth over.
Kenneth Cope was the musical master of ceremonies. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy him as much as I thought I would. He has several newer songs and albums that are simply not my favorite. I really enjoy his earlier material, but the newer stuff wasn't my favorite. I like his softer ballads and songs about the Savior.
Emily Watts was our first speaker. She spoke about parenting. I have to admit that there are so many times that I am frustrated and confused about how to be a better mother. In her message, she talked about how children are the slowest ripening fruit. Heavenly Father loves my children as much as I do. She talked about how even when I mess up the plan Heavenly Father is still there to clean it up. She referenced a poem given by Boyd K. Packer in the October 2009 General Conference. It says:
With thoughtless and impatient hands
We tangle up the plans
The Lord hath wrought.
And when we cry in pain He saith,
"Be quiet, man, while I untie the knot."
-- Author Unknown
Her message helped me to realize that I can learn so much from the experience of parenting. The times that are the hardest for me may be more for my benefit than for theirs. I need to trust that Heavenly Father knows what is best for me and for my children. If I go to him in prayer, he will help me to know what is best for each of my children.
Mary Ellen Edmunds talked about optimism. Attitude is a choice. I learned that I spend far too much time comparing my faults to the strengths of others. Heavenly Father and Jesus know what I need. I need to share my testimony of the Gospel with my family.
After our lunch break, we listened to Jill Manning. I was sure that her talk would not be for me. She was discussing pornography. Of course, this isn't a challenge for me. :) I thought for sure that it wouldn't be something I enjoyed. As I listened to her speak, I realized that pornography is all around me. She explained that Satan has an extreme hatred for women. It pleases him to see the degradation of the female body. One of my biggest weaknesses is my discussion about myself in front of my girls. Through my comments, I am teaching them that I don't appreciate one of God's greatest creations, ME! In order to reclaim this country from the evils of pornography, I need to be honest and forthright with my children about human sexuality. I need to make sure that my home is a safe haven free from the evils of pornography. I loved her suggestion that I need to pray to Heavenly Father and ask him how to protect my children from this atrocity. I need to make sure that the primary source of sexual education for my children is me, not the world and the internet.
The last speaker, Emily Freeman was amazing! She talked about abundance. I would love to have abundance in my life. President Thomas S. Monson said, "Make the most of today." When we serve others we will receive abundance. She discussed the "Be There" principle. Sometimes what is needed is casseroles and visiting, but sometimes all that is needed is for someone to be there and to show that we are aware. She asked the question, "Am I content with the life God has given me?" This made me think. In some ways I am very content with what I have been given.
I always enjoy Hilary Weeks! Her songs touch my heart and my emotions! My favorite had to be her parody of teenagers. More than once I have had a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo moment with Ashleigh and Shalee. The mountains of laundry, bills, and housework never end, but I know that I am so blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment